Tuesday 23 June 2009

Trolldis and Tourists: 2 hours down, 8 to go

So I started my new work, at the local touristinformation. I'm not actually living in a huge city, so you can imagine it gets kind of dead at times. With "at times" I mean 90% of the time, minimum. Maybe 95%.. Ok, let's say 99%.

So far I was taught up in the work, that took five hours, and I had a 3 hour shift. Out from that I'm supposing that the 10 hour shift I'm now in will look something like this.

09.00 -> Coming to work
10.00 -> Writing a blog
11.00 -> Posting a blog
11.20 -> The first tourist
11.22 -> The first tourist leaves
11.30 -> Wuhu! iPod gaming!
12.00 -> iPod is running empty on battery
12.02 -> No more iPod gaming available.
12.04 -> Wuhu! Magazines!
13.00 -> Soon running out of magazines
13.02 -> Nothing more to read.
14.00 -> The second tourist
14.02 -> The second tourist leaves
14.30 -> Trolldis is not far from dying of boredom
15.00 -> Even closer to dying of boredom
15.02 -> Start sms-spamming people
15.20 -> Dead battery on cellphone
15.21 -> Trolldis starts counting cars
15.59 -> The 10th car passes. It's a tourist.
16.00 -> Third tourist
16.01 -> Third tourist leaves
16.02 -> Trolldis watches clock in desperation
16.03 -> Trolldis wishes the clock went faster
16.03 -> "IT MUST HAVE GONE TEN MINUTES ALREADY?!"
16.05 -> Trolldis covers the clock with postits
16.15 -> Fourth tourist
16.19 -> Fourth tourist leaves
16.20 -> "WHAT DESTINY IS THIS!?"
16.21 -> "Whee? I brought the Nintendo DS?!"
16.30 -> Trolldis beats her boyfriends highscores
17.30 -> Trolldis' boyfriend no longer hold any highscores
18.30 -> Trolldis rawks in tha Super Mario world
18.45 -> Game is fulfilled
18.59 -> Trolldis smells freedom.
19.00 -> FREEDOM!

Exaggerating a little? Just a tiny bit? Might be - but work is (coxie style) bo-ho-ho-ho-hooo-ring.

Luckily I get entertainment sometimes with some weird tourists. This lil' story/dialogue/whatever is about an interesting Finn with one and a half arm dressed in something that looks like bavarian lederhosen. He was one of the dudes who spiced up my first day at work.

Here is the convo.

Me: Hello, may I help you?
Him: Nice t-shirt! Nightwish, I'm from Finland myself!
Me: Oh, cool.
Him: Yes.. I want to know what I can do around here.
Me: Hum, we always have glacierwalks.
Him: Yes?
Me: Yes, on a glacier nearby, it is very popular among tourists, and everyone we sent up there had a great deal of fun.
Him: Yes?
Me: Yes.. Is this interesting for you?
Him: Nje, I don't have that much time. Do you have something else? Churches?
Me: Yes, there are three churches nearby, there's Helgheim, approximatley 5 minutes from here, there's Ålhus approximatley 15 minutes from here, and there's Vassenden around.. 25 minutes from here.
Him: Yeah, nevermind about that. You need to give me something to write on.
Me: Øh, yeah, sure
I hand the Finn an a4 paper..
Him: *Talking unclearly* (I hear the word 'size')
I thought it was to small, so I handed him a second paper..
Him: Noo, something smaller.
I give him a post-it.
The Finn writes down multiple links.
Him: These links you have to visit. It is totally free, free yoga.
Me: Aha?
Him: Yes, it is really good sites.
The Finn starts taking lots tape from the tape dispenser, hanging it on his arm. The half one.
Him: I'm just going to go hang up some posters now.
Me: Eh, ok?
Him: Bye!
The Finn leaves
Me: Bye!

I guess I don't need any further comments to this, I dare to say that the dialogue speaks for itself.

In my long lasting and very serious (hemhem) career as a touristinformationofficeworker (damn, wish I could stick another word in there too) I have learnt this about myself:

I hate taking payment for letting people use the loo. HATE, like in intensely. Maybe I hate it more than snobs and aspargus?

Well, I better get back to work (fun that writing this blog is the most productive thing I've done the whole time I've worked here, pahahaha)

EDIT:
Very fun fact. At least least it's a bit fun... But I find it very fun.. But then I'm me, and you're you, and my humor might not actually match your humor, at least not perfectly.. Whatever, it doesn't really matter, here's the at-least-a-bit-fun fact:

The first tourist came exactly at 11.20 and left exactly at 11.22. Check my previous timetable. HAH. It is cool, you cannot argue! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter