Wednesday 10 June 2009

Music Box: Primordial


Primordial is an absolutely awesome band. If you're looking for intense and atmospheric metal, then your searching can end about here.

Primordial started out as black metal, with their demo 'Dark Romanticism'. In 1995 they gave out their debut, 'Imrama'. They recieved criticism for having a sound with melodic black metal influences - especially with the use of mandolin and flute. In the albums after that they have played music that is some kind of mix between black metal, celtic metal and folk metal - a sound that suits them perfectly.

I suck at putting genres at thing, actually, so sorry if I'm wrong. What I do know that intensity reaches the top with this band. I get chills down my back, I get goosebumps, and my tummy fills up with butterflies. Gallows Hymn gives this to me everytime I listen to it, every single time! It's so damn great.



The song I just showed is from the album 'To The Nameless Dead', their newest one from 2007. This cd is a true, true masterpiece. From start to end, I can sit there just listening to it, enjoying it, when doing absolutely nothing else - it is not many albums I can say that about.

Every single album Primordial gave out is good. Every album has something I love, and something that is worth listening to. Maybe 'The Gathering Wilderness' album is my second favourite, with great songs like The Coffin Ships and The Gathering Wilderness. 'Spirit the Earth Aflame' have got the awesome song Gods to the Godless. (many of the songs I've mentioned now will be shown later in this blog)

Primordial doesn't only make the best music you can find, they also hold the best damn concerts. Personally I saw them 3 times now, and everytime I saw them it was so intense I could not think about other things than them for weeks. The first concert with them I remember very good, it was at the Hove festival last year. And it is the best concert I attended ever (and when I attended around 100 concerts, that does mean something!). Luckily this concert was filmed, so I had lots and lots of pleasure with it in later times also. I'm gonna link you to a playlist on youtube having the full concert of that. It's really worth seing! Empire Falls, Gallows Hymn, As Rome Burns, The Coffin Ships, Gods to the Godless and Heathen Tribes - enjoy!



I can't describe Primordial in a small shit blog. You're really missing out if you don't know them, and if you are of the type that likes this kind of music. (actually you're missing out anyway! : D I hope I got someone to like it.

Now I argued so much with blogspot during this blog, that I'm gonna go ahead and just post this even though I could write much, much more :P Buy their cds! See their concerts!


This is my third post in my series Music Box where I reccomend and write about good music. I previously wrote about Fjoergyn and Arcturus.

1 comment:

Free Blog Counter