Monday 12 October 2009

Music Box: Dornenreich




Dornenreich rocks, that's as simple as it is. I'm not gonna lie and pretend that I know everything about this band - to be quite honest I noticed it "for real" not long ago. Before seing them live I knew some songs from "In Luft Geritzt", and they were nice, but my knowledge about Dornenreich ended there. I didn't know their earlier and blacker stuff at that point. At the concert attended in September I was totally captured by the magic of Dornenreich. I loved (correct, "liked" isn't strong enough) every single song they played, and it was straight home to listen to Dornenreich, and I made my lovely boyfriend fill my iPod with all Dornenreich he had.

Dornenreich is a two-man-band from Austria that was founded in 1996 by Thomas "Valñes" Stock,  Jochen "Evíga" Stock joined the band the same year, and they started to make songs. They were also joined by a drummer in 1997, but he later quit. In 2006 Thomas Stock quit the band, and was replaced with another Thomas - Thomas "Inve" Riesner joined the band as a violinist. The lineup is today as it was then.

What's so lovely with Dornenreich is that they have stuff in different genres. The first album, Nicht um zu sterben (1996) is black metal, on their second album Bitter ist's dem Tod zu dienen (1997) they are still within the black metal genre, but more towards Symphonic Black Metal. The next album comes in 2001, and is called Hier von welken Nächten, and it's very hard for me to just put a genre on that. All I can tell you is that this album is awesome, and listen, listen, LISTEN. You should especially give the songs Wer hat Angst vor Einsamkeit? and Grell und dunkel strömt das Leben a listen. Listen to Schwarz schaut tiefsten Lichterglanz too, while you're at it. It's in the player to your right.. ;)


In 2005 does Dornenreich release the cd Hexenwind, few songs, but good songs. This album was supposed to go to a blacker sound again, but.. it didn't. During the writing period the band's progression took a "new direction towards a more calm and mature approach" (stolen from last.fm). From this album, please listen to Der Hexe flammend' Blick.

2006 brings Durch Den Traum, and since I don't know this album that much I don't even have recommendations, sorry for that. I can't put a genre on it either. Avant-Garde? I'm sure it's a great cd, but I haven't had time to get into it, unfortunatly.. But I will ;)

Their newest album came in 2008, and it's called In Luft Geritzt. If you'd listen to a song from this album, and to a song from Nicht um zu sterben, you wouldn't know it's the same band! This is completely acoustic, they use a fiddle and an acoustic guitar. It's so atmospheric, so intense! My personal favourite from this album is Jagd, but do also listen to Drang, Meer and Unruhe. Listen to all, actually - superb album!

One small tips you'll thank me for later: If you have the oportunity of seing them live, then DO so! I've seen many bands live. Many. And Dornenreich is on the top 5, maybe even top 3, do I even put them on the top 2 with Primordial? Might be.. The intensity of the singer is sick, it's magic. He captures you and holds you there throughout the concert, and even longer. After the concert you sit there with an awesome feeling of participating in something great. I will do everything to see this band again! I will even go as far as to eat tuna, if that's what it takes. (for those of you who doesn't know me - this means I'm VERY desperate. Tuna tastes worse than words can describe, ugh).



Dornenreich on last.fm, on wikipedia, and their homepage.

I hope someone got something out of this blog, and starts listening to this band :D


This is my 4th  post in my series Music Box where I reccomend and write about good music. I previously wrote about Fjoergyn, Arcturus, and Primordial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter